Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

You know what doesn't suck? Being on leave from work.

Yeah, I haven't been to work in 3 weeks and don't go back until the end of July.  It's fairly awesome.  I think I don't want to go back.  It's beautiful to wake up whenever, hang out with the baby, do stuff around the house, work on the new book.  And that's it.  I've only put gas in my car once since I went on leave.  It turns out you can get so much done that you actually care about, and without much stress, when you don't have a day job and a commute sucking away all your time like some sort of time-sucking vampire who sucks away your time.

So, while I realized it was awful to lose so much time every day, I had no idea how really excellent life would be without that daily slog.  Take all the leave, vacation and PTO you can from work. That's my advice.

4 comments:

  1. The 2nd weekend in July will be the very last of my leave for the year. I worked like 2 days a week from Jan to now because I used my leave to be off. Sometimes I didn't go in for 2 weeks at a time. I LOVED IT!
    I want to do this full time...stay home! Have fun on your leave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're enjoying your time off! You seem in really good spirits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. Now I'm jealous. I hope you're getting a lot of work done on Jenny Pox 3!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did, I took 6 months off after I had my son and I loved it! I really didn't want to go back afterwards so I compromised and went back part time. Now I only work 3 days a week and it's so much better.

    Anyway, it's always nice to spend time at home when you've got a new baby. Hope you're taking your fair share of the diaper changes!

    ReplyDelete